Thursday, September 16, 2010

Well, Well, Well GOP

  Now I know I've been talking about the Mid-Term elections with quite some frequency lately. Every time I pop open my RSS reader, there is at least one or two articles pertaining to the Mid-Term election. Besides, what fun is a blog from a political junkie if he won't go over the looming elections.
  In any case, the Washington Post has reported today that the Republican Party is beginning the process of reining in fringe Tea Party members to avoid a massive fracture in the party's voter base come November. I've discussed the risk of a party fracture before, and really it almost comes as no surprise that mainstream Republicans are trying hard to bridge the gap that has formed.
  Is this too little too late? Possibly, but I am willing to bet that this outreach from mainstream Republicans is going to have some noticeable effect on how current Tea Party affiliates associate them selves in terms of political parties. But by the same token, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this outreach effort fails. What will really interest me will be how and why the outreach succeeded or failed. Tea Party affiliates, for the most part, aren't dumb. Many of them will realize that this is just the GOP trying to collect their voter base to make gains in November. I seriously doubt the GOP has any interest outside of amassing voters, to seriously make the Tea Party movement a part of the party.

Washington Post report: WPost

No comments: